Thursday 27 September 2018

Frida Kahlo






I went to the Frida Kahlo: Making Herself Up exhibition last Saturday at the V&A. It was beyond fabulous. Full of wonderful photographs, video of Frida drawing, her famous clothes, make-up and even bottles of medicine. It was an intimate portrait of a person who created despite having to deal with immense pain throughout her life.
For me, the most touching exhibit was a pair of her shoes, some beautifully made high heel lace ups with one toe cut out because her foot had gangrene and removing the toe eased the pressure. The toe of the shoe had been so carefully cut out so the shoe still looked immaculate and wearable even though it had been vandalised. That attention to detail illustrated to me how small details in life can help ease the pain, in this case quite literally too. Indeed Frida herself said "As long as I can paint I am happy to be alive."

You weren't allowed to take photos in the actual exhibition so these are some pics I took in the shop of the merchandise you could buy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...